“O people in Zion, inhabitant in Jerusalem, you will weep no longer. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you.” (Isaiah 30:19)
On the second Thursday of every month, our church council gathers to review, celebrate, and give thanks for God’s work amongst our congregation. I am privileged to lead a devotional time for this meeting, but about every 3-4 months we depart from the normal procedure and gather in the sanctuary for prayer. I will open with a single verse of Scripture, and for the next several minutes our council, many kneeling before the altar, will offer up a sacrifice of praise and prayer unto our Lord. It is one of the most blessed times we experience as a group, and a time I am most thankful for. Last week found us in the sanctuary, and the passage above was shared as motivation and encouragement to be found as a people of prayer.
As you gather in the few weeks to come, may this text inspire you also as you pray, for God hears, and God answers! Thank you for lifting these petitions to our Lord:
- Pray on behalf of our AFLC leadership, including Staff, Faculty, Corporations and Boards. To be effective leaders and stewards, we must seek wisdom and discernment from the Lord, and we appeal to His mercies to guide and direct us in every decision.
- Pray for all our students, Seminary and Bible School, that hearts and minds are turned to the LORD through the study of His word, the worship of His people, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit within our community of faith.
- Pray for our Staff and instructors—may You richly fill their hearts with encouragement and joy as they labor in the Kingdom by teaching, serving, equipping, mentoring, and listening.
- Pray for the AFLBS Alumni Association as they work in support of our students, encourage alumni, raise financial and prayer support, and expand the ministry of our Bible School.
- Pray for the AFLBS Up Close event coming October 18-19 designed for 11th-12th graders to experience an up close and personal look at our Bible School campus. We pray that many would participate, that God would continue to lead students to our campus, and that the event would encourage, inspire, and challenge those leading and those attending.
- Pray for the upcoming 3rd Annual “Friends of the Schools” banquet to be hosted on campus November 8, 2018 and featuring keynote speaker John Stonestreet. He is the president of the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview and will share with us the vital necessity of developing a biblical worldview in today’s world.
- Pray for at least 7 new students to begin Seminary studies in the fall of 2019. We give thanks for our Seminary’s 27 students, and for God’s faithfulness in calling men as we began specific prayer in 2016 for the raising up of 40 new pastors in the course of 5 years. By God’s grace, we are nearing this goal. Praise Him!
- Pray for 70 students to begin studies at AFLBS in the fall of 2019. As of today we have 27 accepted students, with over 300 other potential students.
- Pray for progress on the gymnasium project, with final drawings in process and a public capital campaign to follow soon. If funds become available the project could be ready for student use by the end of calendar year 2019.
On behalf of the Intercessor Team,
Pastor Kirk Flaa, Sioux Falls, SD