“For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the LORD our God whenever we call on Him?” (Deuteronomy 4:7)
Proximity is a necessary and beautiful thing in a relationship. I travel to Haiti a couple of times in any given year and in my absence Gloria and I resort to spotty cell phone reception to communicate. Needless to say, that is no fun, and a highlight of every trip is her meeting me at the airport with a big hug (and a kiss!) upon my return. We then spend much time in close proximity to one another conversing about our days apart. This Scripture verse from Deuteronomy 4 reminds us that unlike our human relationships, there is not a time when God is absent or limited by poor or non-existent cell phone coverage; rather, in the distinctive relationship all believers enjoy with their God, His close proximity gives us confidence as we seek Him in prayer.
As you “call on Him” in the coming weeks through prayer, please recall these petitions:
- Intercede on behalf of the many transitions forthcoming and currently taking place in our AFLC. Continue to pray for Pastor Adam Osier who has accepted the call to serve as the Dean of the Association Free Lutheran Bible School, starting July 1. Also, we remember specifically the ministries of World and Home Missions and new directors Pastor Earl Korhonen and Pastor Jim Johnson respectively.
- Intercede on behalf of the upcoming Spring Campus Days, March 15-17. The theme for this weekend is “Tested and True” where 9-12th graders will receive encouragement regarding the authority of God’s word as they worship, fellowship and learn more about our AFLBS campus.
- Intercede on behalf of the AFLBS Alumni Basketball Tournament to be held on March 22-23, at Heritage Christian Academy in Maple Grove, MN. We pray that many would participate, and that fund-raising efforts for current and future needs of the athletic department would be successful.
- Intercede on behalf of the upcoming Concert Choir tour to take place March 29-April 14. Several churches will be visited in states including Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. We pray for journey mercies and God to be glorified in song and in sharing.
- Intercede on behalf of Pastor David Johnson’s team as they plan and prepare for our 57th AFLC Annual Conference to be held June 11-14 at Spruce Lake Retreat Center in Canadensis, PA. May the Lord strengthen and encourage their hearts in this season of preparation, and may many willing hands be raised up to assist.
- Intercede on behalf of FLY 2019 to be held July 1-6 in Estes Park, Colorado under the theme of “I AM”. We pray for all planning and logistics as well as our churches and youth groups as they coordinate their trips and participants.
- Intercede on behalf of our Seminary interns as they respond to congregational calls, and as they follow the leading of the Holy Spirit as they are directed to a place of ministry.
- Intercede that 75 students would begin studies at AFLBS in the fall of 2019. Additionally, we praise the Lord for the 60 students currently accepted to begin as first year students next fall.
On behalf of the Intercessor Team,
Pastor Kirk Flaa, Sioux Falls, SD