“They were helped against them, and the Hagrites and all who were with them were given into their hand; for they cried out to God in the battle, and He answered their prayers because they trusted in Him.” (1 Chronicles 5:20)
Our text speaks of the valiant men of Reuben, Gad, and half-tribe of Manasseh who went to war against a group of enemies (including the Hagrites) in the Transjordan area, and how they came to experience victory by the hand of God. Let’s find encouragement in observing how God was quick to answer prayer and grant victory to a people that trusted in Him, and how these same truths apply today. In our “warfare” in the present days, we are called to battle through prayer, the Word, and in the presence of the Holy Spirit. Let us not take lightly the power we have at our disposal, particularly through the means of prayer, and might we always be a people that trust with whole hearts in the God who calls His people to pray.
As you “battle” in the coming weeks in the work of the Lord, please lift these petitions in prayer:
- We give praise unto the Lord for the 9 Seminary interns completing their internships and available to receive a Call to a congregation. May God grant them guidance in these decisions and transitions.
- We give praise for this season of “Annual Meetings” in many of our congregations, and the opportunity provided to review God’s work through last year, and to anticipate His work in this new year. We praise God for His lovingkindness and grace to our AFLC.
- We offer a petition for the FLBC sponsoring of “Faith and Family Night” in Sioux Falls, SD as the Sioux Falls Skyforce (an affiliate of the Miami Heat) take on the Long Island Nets (an affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets) on Sunday, February 9th at 3 p.m. at the Sanford Pentagon. FLBC will be sharing the National Anthem before the game and will be hosting prospective students from the region, as well as being involved in several other events over the course of the weekend. This is a wonderful opportunity to get the “word out” on our Free Lutheran Bible College!
- We offer a petition for the forthcoming “Spotlight on Missions” event scheduled on-campus February 10-11. Pastor Andy Coyle of Shiloh Free Lutheran Church of Rapid City, SD will be our featured presenter, and sharing on the topic of “Breaking Down Barriers.” We seek that the Holy Spirit work and move in the hearts of all those gathering for this opportunity and for the Lord to use this event to draw people into the ministry of missions.
- We offer a petition for at least 7 new students to begin Seminary studies in the coming year. We give thanks for our Seminary’s 27 students, and for God’s faithfulness in calling men as we began specific prayer in 2016 for the raising up of 40 new pastors in the course of 5 years. By God’s grace, we are nearing this goal. Praise Him!
- We offer a petition for 70 incoming students to begin studies at FLBC next fall. Currently, 55 students have been accepted, and we anticipate God’s continued drawing of students to our Bible College.
- We offer a petition to be able to resume construction activity on the Student Life Center EARLY in April.
On behalf of the Intercessor team,
Pastor Kirk Flaa, Sioux Falls, SD