Last week the 61st Annual Conference of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations convened in Sioux Falls, SD. The event gave FLBCS administration the opportunity to share with many congregation members and pastors about the transformative work God is doing in the lives of students.
Here are some conference highlights:
- President Micah Hjermstad led the ordination service for recent Seminary graduates Rev. Alex Woodworth and Rev. James Scott Pierson. (Other graduates ordained elsewhere) An extended time of prayer was held for these men as they begin service in a local congregation.
- The Bible College and Seminary shared a video report on the conference floor highlighting information from the full conference report. The video included a description of the new strategic plan approved by the Board of Trustees earlier this year.
- President Mobley, along with other senior leaders, answered questions at an elective session. There was general excitement about new opportunities for students to be further established in God’s Word.
- 34 Schools corporation members met to conduct the legal business of FLBCS. The group approved an update to the bylaws that affirms the corporation’s role in naming a future president, when the need arises. Members encouraged the Board and administration to continue to seek ways to keep costs down for students attending the Bible College. Members also elected new officers. See results below.
- The conference passed several non-binding resolutions relating to the conference report including affirming the Bible College’s pursuit of an A.A. and a B.A. in Bible & Ministry.
- The FLBC Alumni Association held their annual meeting. Attendees encouraged giving initiatives for scholarships and dorm improvements. Discussion centered on alumni gatherings including future homecoming events.
Positions Elected at the 2023 Annual Conference
Schools Corp Executive Committee
- Rev. Kirk Thorson – President
- Brent Peterson – Vice President
- Elika Korhonen – Treasurer
- David Fugleberg – Secretary
FLBCS Board of Trustees
- Nathan Dalager
- Rev. Steve Snipstead
- We thank outgoing trustees Dean Nelson for his 5 years and Todd Erickson for his 10 years of faithful service on the Board of Trustees.
- Myrna Anderson – Executive Committee Treasurer
- Julie McCarlson – Nominating Committee
- Robin Johnson – Nominating Committee
- Chanel Nelson – Nominating Committee
Share this Post