We are glad you are considering FLBC! We are committed to help you every step of the way through the admissions process.
FLBC welcomes all applicants who are personally committed to faith in Jesus Christ regardless of race, gender, age, or national or ethnic origin.
1. It is expected that those who seek admission to FLBC do so because of an earnest desire to know Christ more intimately, to follow Him more closely, and to serve Him more faithfully.
2. In order that every student may make the most of his or her time and opportunity, he or she is expected to observe faithfully the guidelines of the school, as outlined in the FLBC Student Handbook.
3. Students must complete the application process (outlined below).
4. Students must have achieved a high school diploma and a minimum GPA of 2.00 from the high school or college previously attended.
FLBC is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. International applicants need to apply well in advance of normal deadlines due to the extra processing time required to accommodate the additional requirements.
International Admission Requirements
International students have all the same admission requirements as those listed under Admission Requirements and Application Procedure in the FLBC Academic Catalog as well as the following additional requirements:
1. English proficiency: All students, regardless of national origin, must demonstrate English proficiency. Completion of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (“TOEFL”) is required of all international applicants from any countries where English is not one of the official national languages. This test must be taken in the applicant’s home country. Students must achieve a minimum passing TOEFL score for admission. The FLBC identification number for the TOEFL exam is B488.
2. Letter of Financial Backing: This refers to a document from the student’s sponsor (or the individual if providing self-support) certifying that financial resources are available to pay all expenses while the student is in the United States. Bank statements that substantiate the ability to meet financial obligations should be notarized and translated into English with funds denominated in U.S. currency.
3. Form I-20: The U.S. Government mandates that all individuals desiring to come and study at FLBC require a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status), to apply for the F-1 student visa. After a student has provided documentation of the resources to finance their education and been officially accepted by FLBC, FLBC inputs all of this data into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (“SEVIS”). The SEVIS database processes the information and produces an I-20, which FLBC then delivers to the student to complete the application process.
4. Character References: Character references are required from a Pastor, a Spiritual Mentor and a Teacher or Employer.
Guide to Studying in the States
International students who come to the United States must follow certain procedures and requirements. Different rules apply depending on a student’s education level and student type.
Please visit the Guide to Studying in the States website to familiarize yourself with International student procedures and requirements.
A student must complete the following application process to be considered for admission to the Free Lutheran Bible College.
Applications will be considered when all the necessary paperwork has been received. Once your file is complete and reviewed by the FLBC Admissions Team and the FLBC Dean, you will be notified by mail if you have been accepted.
International Application Procedure
1. Complete the application form online, and provide all required information by May 1st. Students can request access to the international application form by emailing email@example.com.
2. Pay a non-refundable $100 application fee in U.S. currency. Click here to submit payment online.
3. Provide an official high school and any college (or equivalent) transcripts, listing courses taken, number of credits, and grades received. If any transcript is written in a language other than English, a school official or other authorized person must translate it into English for submission to FLBC. Information on the school’s grading system should accompany the transcript.
4. Provide a health record form completed by a physician which shall be sent to the FLBC Admissions Team prior to acceptance. Proof of immunizations is required. Each international student must provide proof of medical insurance coverage from his or her home country or purchase medical insurance coverage in the United States. Download the Health Record Form here.
5. Provide the required character references from your Pastor, a Spiritual Mentor, and a teacher or employer.
When all of the required application steps have been completed, the FLBC Admissions Team and the FLBC Dean will consider the application for acceptance. If accepted, the applicant will receive a packet that contains a letter of acceptance, the I-20 form, the financial documents provided, and copies of helpful information from two websites.
When the applicant has received an I-20, he or she must go online to the following website to pay the I-901 fee https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html#. Information from the I-20 is needed to complete the form I-901. A valid credit card is needed to pay the non-refundable $350 fee in U.S. currency. Print the receipt of this payment, as it will need to be presented at the United States Embassy.
All of these documents, (i) I-20 (signed & dated), (ii) Letter of Acceptance, (iii) I-901 receipt, (iv) financial documentation and (v) valid passport, should be taken to a United States Embassy in the applicant’s home country. Only the embassy can grant F-1 student status, allowing the individual to travel to the United States as a student. Students can apply for an F-1 visa one hundred twenty (120) days before FLBC’s school year start date. Government regulations do not allow a student on an F-1 visa to come to the US until thirty (30) days before FLBC’s school year start date.
FLBC has limited scholarship funds to financially assist international students. Students must apply for these scholarships and are not guaranteed funding. Because of USCIS regulations, employment possibilities for international students are restricted to on-campus jobs only, which are limited. FLBC cannot guarantee housing, jobs, etc. to any students during the summer months. The U.S. government requires that international students must have sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses related to attendance for each academic year.
These expenses include, but are not limited to, tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, personal expenses, and round-trip air transportation.
International students registered under a student visa must carry at least twelve (12) credits each semester to maintain their eligibility to remain in the United States.
International Application Form
To request access to the online international application form please contact Jean Erickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student Scholarships
Click here for international student scholarship information.
Is a health form required?
The Health Form is not required to be considered for acceptance to FLBC, but it is required before acceptance can be officially communicated to the applicant along with the necessary I-20 form.
When do I pay the application fee?
The application fee must be paid before your online application will be considered for acceptance by the FLBC Admissions Team. This can be paid online with “application fee” in the payment description.
When do I make my first payment?
Either the full semester amount or the minimum down payment of $3,900 is due at the time of registration for the semester for which you are applying. This amount should be paid online. It is also possible to deliver payment to the office in the form of cash, check, money order or cashier’s check. Payment plans may be arranged with the FLBC Student Accounts Manager. For more details on costs and payments, please refer to the FLBC Financial Planning Sheet.
What are the application deadlines?
Applications and all information are due by May 1 of the year you are planning to attend FLBC.